Main Office and Vital Statistics

Services from the Main Office of the County Clerk:
The Main Office of the County Clerk provides a wide range of services to the public. From assisting patrons with a search, to preparing applications for a marriage license or birth certificate, our professional team of dependable clerks is ready to serve.

Vital Statistics – You may request copies of birth, marriage or death records. As West Virginia is not an open records state, restrictions apply on who may make requests.

General information is provided in a friendly and ready-to-assist manner. If our office cannot provide the information you seek, we will do our best to point you in the right direction. The County Clerk has a staff consisting of 14 professional clerks who are cross-trained to ensure the Clerk’s commitment to providing top-notch service to our community.

Birth Certificates
The Jefferson County Clerk's Office keeps official records of births that occur in Jefferson County. Our records date back to 1853.

In terms of obtaining vital records, West Virginia is not an "open record" state.
To obtain a birth certificate, you must:
Visit our office at:
Jefferson County Clerk's Office
100 E Washington St
Charles Town WV
Phone: (304) 728-3215
9:00am to 5:00pm Monday-Friday
  • present valid identification
  • pay a $5 fee per certificate
Write us to:
Jennifer S. Maghan
Jefferson County Clerk
Office of Vital Statistics
PO Box 208
Charles Town WV 25414

Please include the following items:
  • request letter
  • a photocopy of your photo identification (e.g., drivers license, state issued identification, etc.)
  • a check or money order of $5 payable to the Jefferson County Clerk
  • a self-addressed stamped envelope
Contact WV Department of Health and Human Resources:
Vital Registration
350 Capitol St, Room 165
Charleston WV 25301-3701
Phone: (304) 558-2931
Fax: (304) 558-8001
Office Hours: 8:30am - 5:00pm EST
Monday - Friday
 except holidays

Marriage Licenses
Before getting married in West Virginia or Jefferson County, couples must obtain a marriage license together, in person, from the County Clerk's Office.

Under West Virginia law, only eligible persons can marry. The couple must:
  • not be blood relatives
  • be 18 years of age or older
Individuals who reside out of state may not apply for a marriage license in West Virginia if such a marriage would not be legal in their home state.

If either party resides in West Virginia, the couple must apply in the county where he/she resides, but may be married anywhere in the state.

Under state law, applicants who are 16 and 17 years old may obtain a marriage license with parental consent. If a court-appointed legal guardian is providing consent, a certified copy of the appointment is required. Either the parents or the legal guardians must provide
a notarized affidavit of consent of the marriage at that time. Underage applicants must provide valid identification, and are subject to a three-day waiting period.

Applicants who are 16 or 17 must present a certified copy of their birth certificate.

In order to apply for a marriage license, couples must:
  • appear together at the Jefferson County Courthouse
  • fill out and sign a marriage license application
  • present valid identifications with proof of age
  • pay a $56 fee by cash or personal check
    • Note: this fee is reduced to $36 if the applicants present a premarital education course completion certificate dated within one year of the application of marriage license. This class must be completed before applying for a marriage license in order to get the reduced fee. No refunds will be issued for classes taken after the marriage license application date.
  • provide social security numbers
  • provide mothers' and fathers' full names at birth - first, middle and last - plus city and state, or foreign country, of their births
Applicants who have been previously married must provide the exact month, day and year that the previous marriage ended, and indicate whether it was by death, divorce or annulment.

Timelines and Restrictions
Marriage licenses are:
  • issued while you wait
  • effective immediately after issued
  • valid for 60 days
  • effective only in West Virginia
A couple may be married either by a minister that is registered in the State of West Virginia or a judicial judge. It is the couple’s responsibility to make these arrangements.

After the Marriage Ceremony
The individual(s) performing the ceremony must complete the marriage license and mail or deliver it to the Clerk’s Office.
For a fee of $5 per copy, you may obtain a copy of your marriage certificate at the County Clerk’s Office, or by mail by sending the fee with pertinent information to 100 E Washington St, Charles Town WV 25414.

Civil Ceremony in Jefferson County
A civil ceremony can be arranged, by appointment only, through the Jefferson County Family Court Judge.
The Honorable Judge David Greenberg
119 N George St
Charles Town WV 25414
Phone: (304) 724-6253, or
The Honorable Judge David Sanders
110 E Washington St
Charles Town WV 25414
Phone: (304) 728-3201

Religious Officials
All religious officials performing marriages in the State of West Virginia are required to file with the West Virginia Secretary of State’s Office. Registration packets can be obtained by calling the Secretary of State’s Office toll free at (866) 767-8683 or visiting their website at
It is the responsibility of the religious official to keep a record of each marriage performed, which must be kept as a permanent record.

Acceptable Forms of Identification

To obtain certain vital records, you are required to submit one or more copies of ID. Any photo on an ID must match the face of the requesting individual.

ID required for obtaining vital statistics records:
  • unexpired or expired state issued driver’s license
  • US or foreign passport, visa, national identity cards issued by US government to foreign nationals
  • employment photo ID issued by the Federal, state or local government, including military or photo ID card from a government-sponsored program (NO business IDs, NO student IDs)
  • major credit card with a photo of the card holder.
If no photo ID is available, you may submit one of the following:
  • major credit card
  • motor vehicle registration card
  • state social services program card
  • current utility bill or pay stub with name and current address
  • signed affidavit attesting to the requesting person's identity by someone who is accompanying the requestor, and who does have an acceptable photo ID, along with a copy of that photo ID
Genealogy Research
The best online source of data for genealogical searches is the West Virginia State Government Archives and History home page, located at:

Other Internet resources are WV Gen WEB Project and West Virginia University Libraries, West Virginia Collection.

As of 1/2/14: The County Clerk's Office no longer issues Hunting & Fishing Licenses. Information can be obtained from the following link.
West Virginia DNR:


Search this site:

Site Map

Recording Department note:
All documents received by 4:30pm will be recorded same day.
Documents received after 4:30pm will be recorded next day.
Click in the Icon:
Any unauthorized use of the information being provided will result in prosecution to the fullest extent of the law.
Our office, in conjunction with our software vendor,
has made every attempt to eliminate social security
numbers from the online version of our public records.
However, should citizens find that their social security
number is still visible online, we ask that they call
our office at (304) 728-3215 for immediate removal
of that number.



As of July 1st, 2010, the redemption of deliquent taxes is being handled by the West Virginia State Auditor's Office. Although our office will be able to assist you with redemption figures, we are not able to process the redemption. We will be happy to provide the information needed to redeem your property with the State Auditor's Office.

West Virginia State Auditor's Office
County Collections Division
Toll Free: (888) 509-6568

Eastern Panhandle Organization of Homeowners Associations Website: